Work has gone into mad. Instead of having the last week of March off, I find myself working, if not for my Employer, for my Union, and for several members who are having some major issues.
Today was supposed to be meetings, Monday was supposed to be presentations, Tuesday through to Thursday is another three days attempting to implement a new initiative for a Union/Management approach to solving issues in an informal manner, rather than a formal manner..ie grievance.
Yesterday, I made a decision. Today was going to be an off day, as well as Monday. Phone calls were made, presenters were found, meeting dates changed and I slept in until 8:30..:)
I like this place where I am now. It feels good to not stress about issues of no importance, really. Meetings can be changed, other people can do my job, and some are even wont to return favours done in the past, in a pay it forward kind of way.
Not that stress never appears, it's just a different stress, I guess...:)
This week, I sat in a room with a bunch of young, up and coming managers. Some there due to merit, others there because of who they know, all of them rareing to do the job in the best way they know how. Some are open to new ideas, and new ways of doing things, others are staunch in their belief that the bottom line is budget and the people don't fit in there period...we don't care if you are happy, we pay you good money, do your job..:)
I sat there with five other Union representatives and rhymed off local policies, legislation, Acts of Parliament, as these people on the other side of us, sat quiet and honestly admitted they wouldn't know how to find them, nor did they know some of them existed.
How, do you, as a responsible Employer, not train your staff? Especially those who are supposed to be looking over their flock?
So, although I am off this weekend, it will be spent, doing some powerpoint presentations for those who manage me...:)
Friday, March 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment